Active Ready In
25 m 45 m
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour and 2 tablespoons milk in a small bowl. Heat the remaining milk in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat until steaming.
- Gradually whisk a few tablespoons of the hot milk into the milk-flour mixture, then whisk this mixture back into the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and slightly thickened, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in Cheddar, pepper Jack, chile powder, salt and pepper.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor or blender until very smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Stir into the sauce in the skillet. Add tuna and the pasta; stir well to coat with the sauce. Sprinkle drained tomatoes evenly over the top.
- Bake until hot and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Top with crumbled tortilla chips.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5 (transfer to a baking dish, if desired, before topping with tomatoes), cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bake at 450°F until hot and bubbling, about 35 minutes.
Serving size: about 1½ cups
Per serving: 442 calories; 11 g fat(6 g sat); 6 g fiber; 55 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 46 mcg folate; 39 mg cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 749 IU vitamin A; 4 mg vitamin C; 375 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 725 mg sodium; 380 mg potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (38% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3½
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 reduced-fat milk, ½ vegetable, 1½ medium-fat meat