What to Eat for Better Workouts
Healthy carbohydrates can be sourced from a variety of foods including nuts, fruits, vegetables, seeds, grains and legumes. These contain vitamins, fiber, and minerals which are important for keeping the body happy and healthy.
What you need to be careful of is food that are high in calories, are loaded with simple sugars, and have little nutritional value like candies, sodas, and junk food.
If you want to give your workouts an extra boost, don’t reach for that candy bar or cookie. Instead, try snacking on these to give your body a steady supply of glucose while you workout:
- Whole-grain cereal, berries, and skim or low-fat milk
- Oatmeal made with skim milk, sprinkled with crushed flaxseed
- 1/2 whole-grain bagel with peanut butter and banana slices
- Smoothie made with low-fat yogurt, fresh fruit, and orange juice
- Poached egg on whole-wheat toast with 1/2 grapefruit
- Salad with mandarin orange slices, slivered almonds, and veggies, drizzled with olive oil
- Yogurt parfait with low-fat granola
- Apple or celery slices with peanut butter and raisins
Meal replacement shakes or bars (Check the label to make sure it's approximately 220 calories or less.)
- Brown rice and steamed veggies sprinkled with a little cheese